Monday, August 16, 2010

Tumbler first batch

We did a trial run with some of Pocahontas' fiber. Unfortunately, this first run didn't go as smooth as I would have hoped. There is always a learning curve to these things. J put some fiber in there, and had it tumble. Then he put in more fiber, after he read that more fiber in there works better. Unfortunately, the two separate loads mixed together and the fiber intertwined. It wasn't felted, but almost felt that way to me.



Now what to do with it? I'm not one to scrap fiber if at all possible (especially fiber off our color banner winner!). So I decided to flick the fiber and see if I could spin it up.

It didn't flick as nice because I was starting with intertwined locks. I decided I would ignore lumps and bumps and spin this fiber up thick, let it be a lumpy bumpy yarn. When knit up, it will have tons of texture that the smooth yarn could never have.

I started spinning it with some reservation that this might not work. I was happy to see this on my wheel:



It is thicker than what I typically spin. It's not even as lumpy or bumpy as I thought it would be. It actually looks like it will be a nice chunkier yarn. I'm eager to see how neat it looks after it's plyed.


No comments:

Pin It button on image hover