Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cold, Dark mornings

I for one am eager for the time change. Like many alpaca farmers, I have a regular daytime job. I get up, get the kids off to school, and feed the alpacas, so I can get off to work. Well, that's around 7:30 a.m. and it's still dark here. It's been cold too! We are having an usually cold fall. So I bundle up, which is ok, I stay plenty warm in my layers. And the layers keep the hay off my work clothes. We do have lights in the barn, but I feed them their grain out in the paddock. I put down bowls and hope the right animal gets by the right bowl. We have a couple skinny girls who need extra grain. I don't want the good weight girls to get that extra grain. I've discovered it's also hard to see how full the water buckets are. Thankfully we have a pretty good routine with feeding their grain, so for the most part, the right alpaca comes to the right spot. But still, I'd prefer a bit more daylight when doing these chores. Something about going out in the dark and cold isn't so appealing.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover