Saturday, January 17, 2009

spinning yarn

Originally I had thought I'd learn to knit, but have a mill make the yarn. Then at a show last fall I spoke with a lady who was spinning and thought that I would like to spin after all. Since then I have been looking more into it, but given the price of spinning wheels I'm taking it one step at a time. I located a local Spinning Guild and grabbed up some courage to go and attend. I learned so much! I came home with a spindle with the start of a strand of yarn on it. Now I am really itching to get a wheel.

This weekend I am going to wash some of the fiber. I bought a book that helps outline exactly how to wash it (it has been explained to me but I am very fearful of making it into felt accidently). We will see how that goes.

Now to decide on a spinning wheel. I know I want one that is portable. I want to be able to take it to shows and spinning guild and so forth. I also know I want a one pedal one (not two). I wish there was an easy way to find a used one.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover