Sunday, November 4, 2012

It was time

This past week I treated myself to a new item, something I have needed for awhile:



I have had a pair of yellow lady bug barn moccasins, but they were so well worn.  So much so that water leaked into the many rips and tears in them.  They were not only no longer water proof, but also cold when the wind blew.   I believe I bought them way back during our first year of farming, so they have to be 4 to 5 years old.   I don't tend to wear them in the deep winter, but the rest of the year they are worn twice a day (and sometimes more).  They had more than served their purpose.

I have been surprised how difficult it is to find the type of water proof barn moccasins that I like.  Most are taller at the ankle, or too tight, or more money than I want to spend.  I saw these a few weeks back, but wasn't for sure I really needed to spend the money.  When J told me I was silly for passing them up, I went back.  I still debated the true need of them, but truth be told I'd be embarssed a post a picture of the ones I had been wearing!  So I went to buy them and as a pleasant surprise they rang up 30% off at the cash register - less than I thought I was going to spend!   And they are oh so wonderful!! I was time for a new pair :) 


On the topic of time, this weekend marks the end of daylight savings time in our area.  This means changing our clock back one hour at  2 a.m.  Of course we don't actually get up at 2 a.m. to do this (though when I worked 3rd shift it was always part of the night's routine to do so).

Our animals are very routine. It likely is in part due to the fact I am very routine.  I do their chores in the same order each day, but that's how I make sure everything gets done and everyone gets what they need when they need it.  The big one that keeps me on schedule is dropping the kids off at school and picking them up.  Chores seem to fall into place from there.  But it is funny on the weekends how the alpacas will gather by the gate when it's my usual time to bring out their grain.  It's as if they have a watch on telling them the time.

Like our animals, I too was looking for my dinner a bit earlier than it actually was dinner time :) I don't like to wait for food!

2 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

Your new muck shoes are very cute.

I have a pair of boots I was planning to replace at the beginning of summer, but still haven't. I did a "little" shopping to replace them but didn't find what I was looking for. :-/

We do our chores at different times almost every day, so the alpacas don't care too much about the time, but they do care about the sequence. Their faces are hilarious when I do things out of order. lol.

oak haven alpacas said...

Yes, I notice the sequence of events during chore time is essential too. I have had it a few times where I did things in a different order and the alpacas were so confused I actually had to go back and start again with the usual order of things. They couldn't take the change. I often joke they are a bit autistic (asperger's maybe :) ). But then I like routine too :)

The muck shoes are more pink and girlie than I usually pick but when my son has the same size feet I wanted something that would be *just* mine :)

Pin It button on image hover