Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The new routine

A few weeks back I posted how J was starting a new job which meant for the first time since 2003, he was working a regular day shift. This meant huge changes for our family. For the last 8 years he's worked some form of 2nd or 3rd shift (mostly 3rds). Given Zack is only 9 years old, and Emma 12, the majority of their lives has been spent with odd shifts being normal.

The kids don't generally do well with change, and J would add that I don't generally do well with change.

And this particular change did mean a lot of changes for me specifically. When J worked off shifts, he was able to manage the morning farm chores. I was able to get myself and the kids up and out the door each morning without having to worry too much about the farm. I did the evening chores, given I came home from work when the kids got out of school. Well, with J's new job, he'd be leaving earlier in the morning than I do. And, given his commute and responsibilities, he'd be getting home later than me. Way back when we started our farm I did both morning and afternoon chores, but back then I only worked part time. I was a little concerned how this would all work out.

Now several weeks into it I'm happy to say things just seemed to fall into place. J adjusted to his new schedule (and loves being normal sleeping at night). Other than eating dinner later the kids haven't noticed a huge change to their daily life. They do notice J is home every weekend (he used to work on average every other weekend). And surprisingly, I quickly adjusting to doing the farm chores. The ironic thing is that I was most worried about the morning routine. I am NOT a morning person. I have issues getting out of bed each morning (to put it mildly). I was worried how I would manage everything. But what I forgot is that once I'm up in the morning, I'm up. It's that first step out of bed that is horrible, after that, I'm fine. I also stressed way more than I should have about whether I should shower first then do farm chores or do farm chores then shower (do I do the chores in my pjs?). The concern being the earlier I did the farm chores, the darker it would be outside. I couldn't picture how it would all work. As it is, J gets up before I do, but the fact he's already up makes it easier for me to get out of bed. I put my farm layers over my pj's and get right to the farm chores. When I come inside, Zack is up making his lunch, and he starts his chores of letting the dogs out and getting their food together. Then I shower. By the time I'm done, Emma is slowly emerging from her room. Somehow each morning we are all ready on time.

What has been a bit more of a struggle is that when J worked off shift, the kids and I were kind of lazy about supper each night. I would make the meal at different times, based on if I wanted run or what we had going on. I had plenty of time each night to complete the farm chores, and do my own exercise. Now with J being home each night, we aim to eat just after he gets home from work. Sometimes it's a bit of a stretch for me to finish the farm chores and get in a good run. Since all along I've been doing the afternoon chores, I was surprised that it was the afternoon chores, not the morning ones, that have been more difficult to arrange well.

We are thankful that everything has fallen into place and is working out well for our farm and our family.

1 comment:

Kathryn Ray said...

Change is hard for everyone. It doesn't matter if you want it or are ready for it... there's always something about the change is difficult.

It sounds like you've all settled in quite well.

Happy New Year!

Pin It button on image hover