Sunday, February 15, 2009

Next Project

I am now spinning fiber from Tucker:




I first put it on our skirting table (where you lay the fiber out to pick out all the debre, such as hay). Then the fiber was washed (we used the washer, just made sure it did not spin, aggitation will create felt and ruin any chance at yarn). We laid it out on the skirting table again to dry (note the cool skirting table J built):



Then J used a flicker to make it into a "cloud". I've been spinning it from this cloud (similar to rovings but not as tight). So far I like the cloud method. I think in some ways it's easier than rovings because rovings you have to pull to draft (sometimes I got thick yarn because I didn't draft enough). But the cloud is harder to keep consistent (if anything it gets really thin) because you are sort of making a roving as you go, it's hard to keep it the same thickness. Though in some ways that gives it character.

Here is the yarn that I have created so far:


That picture is really hard to see the color. Tucker is a light silver gray, which in his case is a mix of white and black. The yarn looks like white with black flecks it it. Mixed, it does look gray and from a distance it is almost gray, but up close it's white with a thin black streak in it.

2 comments:

Mother Robinson said...

Hey Cara,
You are doing an amazing job with the fiber. I need to come to your house so you can teach me a few things. Lately I have not had to the time or patience for spinning. I think I needs some pointers. Keep up the great work...the yarn looks awesome!
~Jillian

oak haven alpacas said...

Thanks Jillian. Come on over anytime and was can spin together :) My spinning still has a lot of character with it being thick in spots and thin in spots, but I'm trying to be more consistent. Though they say the uneven yarn is the big thing right now. I still desire to get better consistency. I think practice is what I need, so I keep working at it. And I'm so excited to be finally doing something with our alpaca fiber that it motivates me.

Pin It button on image hover