Friday, September 3, 2010

Fiber Challenge

I've been challenging myself to get more fiber spun into yarn. I know if I could get it spun, J would knit it into product. Plus, what he didn't knit up, we could sell. I never have any extra yarn to sell, we use it faster than I can spin it.

My goal in August was to spin up a skein of yarn a week. If I would prepare the fiber throughout the week, then spin a strand on Friday evening, and a strand on Saturday, then I could ply on Sunday. I could finish Sunday evening by starting to prepare the next batch. My aim was to have 4 skeins by the end of the month. This would be a huge increase in production. While I didn't meet my goal, I am happy to report I got 3 skeins completed. That is more than what I have done before.

Now September begins with a Holiday weekend. Many people mark the weekend with a last change get-away before the fall routine starts. We however, don't have any specific plans. J has to work all weekend. The kids start school on Tuesday, which means I'd rather not go away, I'd rather get prepared for the start of school. And as it turns out, it's been raining most of today (Friday). There is rain predicted for Saturday too.

I am very sad that I didn't participate in the Farm Girls' Fiber Festival. I did last year, and it was so much fun! As it turned out this year, J has to work all weekend. This left me with child responsibilities. And now that it's been raining, I'm less sad about missing it. Next year, next year I will need to do it again.

Instead my plans are this, flick up Lightning's fiber tonight.

Pictured: orange tub is the raw fiber, pink tub is the second cuts, debris and rejected stuff (some of Greyt's fiber in the bottom):



This is about half of Lightnings' fiber all flicked up, ready to spin:



I need to finish up flicking the rest of the orange tub of fiber, then I will be done for tonight.

Saturday I hope to spin up one strand, then flick all the fiber for the 2nd strand (already in another orange tub).

Sunday I will spin up the 2nd strand.

Monday will be the day to ply, wash and set the twist. That will be one skein already completed for the month of September.

Throughout the weekend I'll post to show my progress. Let's see what I can get done!

1 comment:

WonderWhyGal said...

During the Tour de Fleece I managed to spin 17 hanks averaging 200 yards during the 25 days and I loved every minute of it. I've slowed down a bit since then but sold most of my handspun at Fiber Fest so...I need to challenge myself again.

Pin It button on image hover