Sunday, September 5, 2010

Spinning realities

After Saturday's successful spinning day, I woke up Sunday with a new attitude. I was invincible, I could accomplish so much and it was easy!

I didn't get right to farm chores, or start working on fiber right away. I could relax a bit. I sipped coffee, surfed the web, checked out recent news on TV. Before I knew it, I had done nothing and it was almost 10 a.m.! Worse yet, the natives (ie my kids) were getting restless. The true reality set in: I am the mom of two active kids (age 8 and 10), the idea of two consecutive spinning days was laughable.

There were tantrums (by me: "I want to spin", "leave me alone so I can spin" and so forth). I discovered that it really is true, tantrums don't work in this house (how many times have *I* said that, oh it is bitter to have your own words used back at you). I needed to regroup and come up with a more realistic goal for the weekend.

The kids had heard of a Logging Festival in town. We looked it up and there was a parade at 1 p.m. with free kids games afterward (I like free, and the idea of anything that might wear them out a bit). So we planned to go to that. The kids agreed to behave, knowing we had plans for later on in the day. This gave me until 12:30 p.m. to get something done. I quickly fed the alpacas, and rushed inside to ply my yarn.

While this did slow down my production a bit more than I would have hoped for, it is reality and it is why I don't spin as much yarn as I'd like. I do have kids. While they do a fairly good job of keeping themselves busy, they aren't independent, and they do still need me.

After plying the first skein, I washed it, and hung it to dry outside. It's been a cool breezy day, so it dried pretty fast. By evening, J put it in a ball and he's already started knitting a scarf with it. This just shows how eager we are for yarn! Barely spun and dry and he's knitting it up.

I got a good start on the second skein. One strand is already spun, the second batch is flicked ready to spin. I can spin that up first thing in the morning, and by evening I can ply it. I will have two skeins done for this holiday weekend after all :)

2 comments:

Mother Robinson said...

We don't even have kids yet, and I still can't seem to find the time to spin (or learn to play the guitar in my closet....or finish the baby nursery). I am amazed you are able to spin as much as you do! That's awesome!

Lou Harmon said...

Spinning seems to be so much fun...perhaps you could get the kids spinning too and you could have your very own 'sweat shop'. Ha.

Pin It button on image hover