Sunday, February 6, 2011

Fiber Trade Off

Unfortunately I did not finish even one skein of yarn during the month of January. Throughout the month I kept intending to spin yarn, but it seemed like something kept coming up. I recently realized what the real issue was. I decided to run in the 5/3 River Bank Run this spring. Since making that decision, I have made a concerted effort to run more. This means instead of using barn chores as exercise and getting on the treadmill maybe once a week for a good solid workout, I am now getting on the treadmill 3 or 4 times a week. Not only am I on the treadmill for about an hour, but there is time getting ready before, the cool down, and the shower afterward - by the time I add all that time up we are talking close to 8 hours each week that I *could* be spinning yarn. This is only going to increase as we get closer to race day. I will run further each day, and run more days of the week.

I decided it is a trade off. I can't do everything and right now getting in shape and running this 10K is important to me. So I am going to give myself a break and not worry about yarn spinning for now. My goal of a skein a week will be on hold for now. If I am able to spin a few skeins here and there that is great, but it's ok if I don't.

I did manage to complete these this weekend:



It's a large skein of Greyt's fiber, and a small skein of a twist of Greyt and Tucker (a perfect size for an accent yarn). These are my first skeins for 2011.

All I had to do this weekend was ply two strands of Greyt's fiber, I had already spun two strands. Greyt is a beautiful Rose Grey. His color doesn't show up great in there pictures. You'll have to trust me, it's even more wonderful in person. Plying Greyt:



This was a very large skein, I could barely fit the entire plyed skein on my wheel (and my Louet is known to hold more yarn than most spinning wheels). I measured it as 180 yards and 11.5 ounces.



I had a little left over of one strand of Greyt. I love it when this happens, because I will ply that left over with some other left over, making a multi-color small skein as an accent yarn. I happened to have a strand of Tucker's fiber (Tucker is a beautiful light silver grey). The mix of these two greys was fun to ply:



I ended up with 19 yards, 1.5 ounces, of this contrasting accent yarn (again these pictures do not do justice to the true beauty of this yarn):

3 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

Good for you training for the 5k. It takes a lot of work to train. I participated in Girls On The Run with my daughter last year and it was killer taking care of the barn, getting in shape plus keeping up with fiber arts so I know your struggle.

Keep the spinning for your enjoyment and don't put the pressure on. You don't want to burn out on the enjoyment of spinning. I've been busy spinning all weekend...for the first time in a few weeks. I filled all of my bobbins for a total of about 16oz of fiber. Now...to start plying.

Finding that balance between work, fun, family, fiber arts, farming...it can take it's toll some days.

oak haven alpacas said...

I totally agree, the balance is hard. But worth it. When works gets too stressful, the barn feels like the most wonderful escape. I'd hate for spinning yarn to be the stressor though.

ACL Studio and Gallery said...

Hey, I saw you post on my google alert. I've made up for your lack of spinning while on vacation from my regular studio activities and done 16 sk of 2ply 150 yds @1lb 1.7oz. this Jan. That may be my efforts for a while though... Good thing you are running while I am pedaling, though.

Pin It button on image hover