Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tempers Rise

I don't know if it's hormones, or spring fever, or the fact we've moved around some of our girls (they reassess herd dynamics any time there is a change in herd membership), but I see a lot of neck wrestling and spit fighting.

When I was out there feeding them, I caught Miss Kitty, post fight, with the lingering spit lip:



Sancha had the other spit lip, so I knew it was the two of them. I didn't manage to get a picture of Sancha's lip.

Alpacas main defense is to spit (after an attempt to run). They also react to each other with spit. I find that after a good spit fight, their lip hangs there, burning from the spit acid for some time. If it's feeding time, sometimes they can't even eat their grain because of the spit lip.

Miss Kitty is still trying to figure out her place in our herd. I've seen her several times now trying to take on our herd leader, Victoria. I wouldn't suggest taking on Victoria, she's been the leader on our farm since day one. But, Miss Kitty doesn't take advice from me. She'll learn, she's just determined to do it the hard way.

Miss Kitty isn't the only one fighting. I see many of the other girls getting into fights here and there. Something is in the air.

No comments:

Pin It button on image hover