Saturday, March 19, 2011

Strength

I've often complained that I do not have good upper body strength. Even back a few years ago when I regularly worked out with weights, I still did not have great upper body strength. I always knew this to be true, so I found ways to manage, to cope. I thought for sure being a farmer would help. Hauling and stacking bales of hay, lifting and carrying buckets of water, certainly that should help. It did help a bit, but not that much. I continued to work on ways to cope.

Well, recently I have noticed a definite change in my strength. I'm not being paid to advertise here, this is really what has worked for me. For one, I got a Shake Weight for Christmas. I admit I don't work out with it every single day, more like 3 or 4 times a week. But I swear it has made a huge difference. I also am running about 14 miles a week. This combination has given me strength I never had before.

Not only can I haul bales of hay and water buckets, but if a cria doesn't want to do what I want it to do, I pick it up and put it where I want it. I'm not messing around anymore. This new found strength has given me option I never had before.

While my running has been due to training for a 10K race, I know I need to keep it up even after the race is done. I don't want to give up this new found strength, it has definite advantages out on our farm.

2 comments:

Ertman-Trowbridge Family said...

Good for you! I have not heard of the Shake Weight (or what was it called?). You will have to show me what it is.

I lost your phone number, but I was thinking I could maybe stop by your place mid-afternoon tomorrow (Sunday). My email: george544 at juno dot com

Write me with your phone and I will call tomorrow, if that works for you.

oak haven alpacas said...

I sent you an email but not sure it went through. This afternoon should work great. My cell number is:

231-245-9386

Pin It button on image hover