Saturday, December 11, 2010

Old Fashioned

I tend to be a bit old fashioned. I haven't been one to jump on every new technology. I had a cell phone a few years back, but never used it so I got rid of it. Only recently have I gotten one again, and this was for emergencies only (I drive a lot for work, it became a safety issue). I hear about phones that do all sorts of things, and I wonder why someone would need that. Well, here are some apps that I would enjoy (if you click on the link to that post, there are pictures and more information there):

There’s an app for that!
December 7, 2010 at 5:00 am by Aaron

Have you ever wanted to check the size of a mystery set of needles, but left your needle gauge at home? There’s an app for that.

Out shopping for a project and can’t remember what yarns or needles you already own? There’s an app for that.

Spinning some gorgeous yarn and want to check your twists or wraps per inch? Yup, you guessed it, there’s an app for that too.

I finally gave in and got an iPhone a couple of weeks ago, and one of the first things I did was search the knitting and spinning related apps available on iTunes and download a few to check them out.

There’s a variety of apps that keep track of your needles, crochet hooks, yarn, books, and projects. There are stitch dictionaries with swatch images, calculators to help you figure out how much yarn to buy for a specific type of project, row counters, and even tutorials for knitting and crochet.

iKnit Needle Sizer

Vogue Knitting App

Spinners get to join in on the app fun too with an app that measures twist angle, twists and wraps per inch.

iSpin Tool Kit

It also has calculators to estimate grist, how much twist you need for a balanced yarn, and more.

Mobile phones have consolidated a number of gadgets over the years. Our phones are also music players, cameras, GPS navigators, and web browsers. Having all of these rolled into one handy little piece of electronics means carrying less devices around to do all those things.

For the fiber artist on the go, mobile phone apps can consolidate a number of tools, lists, and other things that take up valuable space and weigh down our project bags.

Some of the apps are free and some are as cheap as 99 cents. Most of them have customer ratings and feedback which can be a great help in deciding whether or not to buy it.

Yes, most apps are only for the iPhone. But iPhone alternatives like the Droid are gaining popularity, and there’s a few available for that too. I’m sure more will be on the way.

I still haven’t seen a Ravelry app though. Maybe that will come soon too.

Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Kathryn Ray said...

I'm with you. I didn't have a cell phone until my boss decided he needed to get ahold of me while I was on Jury Duty several years ago. lol.

Each year or so, it seems the phone would be upgraded, finally reaching a Blackberry. All were provided by my company.

Then nearly two years ago, I bought an iPhone for myself, then one for my husband a few months later. It's a very useful tool. We no longer have a home phone.

There are only a few apps that I use on a regular basis... email, maps, twitter, facebook, weather.com and the alarm clock. Several others I use occasionally.

But the good news is, the Ravelry app is in work. I'm certain I'll use that one alot.

Lou Harmon said...

How exciting. I suppose I should upgrade and get something fancy...but so far this old phone is good enough. For one thing I hardly get a signal out where we live and another thing.....I hardly use it. So, I need to get an iPhone to be able to get all of those apps, right?

Pin It button on image hover