Sunday, February 12, 2012

Left Overs

When working with fiber, I find I often have left over odds and ends. After spinning I might have one strand of a color left over when plying. When knitting I might have a little bit of yarn left over from a project. I enjoy using these odds and ends to make something useful.

For example this weekend I completed a skien of yarn from Tehya's fiber (a fading fawn):



After plying two strands of Tehya's yarn together, I had some left over. I certainly didn't want it to go to waste.

Then I dug out these:



Two small balls of one strand remnants.

One of those remnants was a strand spun from Greyt's fiber (a medium rose grey). So I plyed that with the left over strand from Tehya's fiber. This made a 66 yard mini skein:



The other remnant was an older strand spun from Cafe's fiber (she is a beautiful dark fawn, who is no longer on our farm). This made a smaller mini skein of 22 yards:



After plying I washed them and hung them to dry to set the twist.

Aren't they pretty?!



I was struck by how different they look, even though both are plyed with Tehya's fading fawn color, they still take on a different look.



Then I rolled them into balls:





My thought was to take all these small and partial balls of yarn, and knit them into hats. I love putting stripes in hats, and playing around with different color combinations. I thought if I loosely put them in this plastic bag, I can easily see what color balls I have available, so when knitting a hat I can pick and choose what I think will look best together. I already have a good start on my bag of mix matched yarn:



Each hat knit can be it's own puzzle. What fun!!!


By the way, if you wondered, yes, that is a piece of hay on my couch. Doesn't everyone have hay on their couch? I almost reached to grab it out of the way before taking the picture but then I thought it's really our natural couch look so I left it there. The life of an alpaca farmer.

1 comment:

Mother Robinson said...

I love your natural couch look! Crazy the places we find loose strands of hay around our house. No matter how many layers of clothes I have on, I seem to always have hay in my bra after barn chores!

Also, the yarn in this post is beautiful! It makes me want to get into fiber arts again!

Pin It button on image hover