Monday, February 20, 2012

Taking It Easy

It might not come as a surprise that I tend to be a person who has a hard time taking it easy. I'm used to being busy, I like to be busy, I don't care much for complete down time. But as it happened, our household was shook by a horrible stomach bug this past week, we fell like dominoes, one right after the other. Zack came down with it Wednesday night (which we didn't realize, Zack has had ongoing issues and we thought his symptoms were part of a more serious problems, thankfully it was only the stomach bug). Thursday evening J became quite sick. Emma was struck on Friday evening, which placed full fear in me. I hate the stomach bug to begin with. Add on that I have problems with acid reflux and have a very difficult time getting over the stomach bug (I've ended up in the hospital from it before). Emma is known in our family has having an incredible immunity. If Zack has a cold for a week, Emma will have it for half a day. If Zack is struck in bed with a terrible fever and strep throat, Emma will have a slightly sore throat (yet still have strep). When she fell victim, and fell hard, I lost hope. It was inevitable. Saturday evening was my demise. I knew it was coming, so I prepared. I got all my laundry done. I cleaned up the house. I went for a run. I did as much of the farm chores ahead of time that I could. I was ready when it hit. In fact, I went out at 3 p.m. to do farm chores, come inside and knew tonight was my night. I went to my spinning wheel and finished spinning the rest of a second strand of Rose's fiber. I wanted it ready to ply (when I felt better). As soon as I was done spinning that strand of Rose's fiber, I went to bed (never mind it was only 5:30 p.m.). It was all over. I don't remember much of Sunday other than that by 10:30 a.m. I had already taken 2 naps. The rest of the day is a blurr. I didn't do anything but sleep on the couch, sleep in bed, and moan in pain.

Today is Monday, and while I feel quite a bit better, I know I have to take it easy. I know I tend to do too much too soon and that is why I end up with prolonged gastritis and in the ER. So to help me sit still today, I spent some time with fiber.

I plyed 2 strands of yarn from Rose's fiber:



I was a little surprised at how this fiber turned out. I expected it to seem more pink, it really does feel more brown/grey (she's a light rose grey, which is brown and grey). I just thought it would come out more pink because she looks pink to me when I look at her.

Isn't is lovely?!



It sometimes baffles me how the fiber can be this:



And end up this:



I love this skein:





I did some other things today: like mending (sewing on some buttons) and I blocked a hat I knit up a couple weeks ago, and I started spinning something new, but I'll save those for another post. Taking it easy, that's what I'm doing :)

2 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

It's a beautiful skein. Sometimes photos don't show it but you really can see the lovely rose gray in the photos. I do love spinning from a single Alpaca on my farm (even if I blend it) and know that it came from that particular animal.

I feel the yarn has the personality of that Alpaca. It's so much better than saying Alpaca yarn when you can say Buddy's Fiesta or Alpaca Yarn by Mystery.

I like that you spin from each animal on your farm. Now...I wish I would be better about spinning 100% Alpaca. I just have too much fun spicing it up...because Alpaca makes every yarn better.

oak haven alpacas said...

Andrea

It's kind of become a joke at our house that I call each skein by the name of the animal it came from. Like if one of my kids are trying to find me, I'll say "I'm down stairs skirting Rose" or "I just put Rose in the dryer" (our fiber tumbler). In some ways we make it too personal around here :) I have pretty much only spun our own alpaca fiber, since I have bags and bags of it in my basement and I'm very frugal (why spend money when I can use what we have). It started out as an ecomonical thing, what can I do for our farm without spending anything? Grab fiber from the basement and make it into yarn (I did have to buy a spinning wheel but that was the only cost and it was really a present from a family member).

My husband and I have gotten so used to knitting 100% alpaca. In fact, I dont' think my husband has knit anything else.

I do want to branch out a bit, as I know 100% alpaca all the time isn't all I want to do. One step at a time :)

Cara

Pin It button on image hover